Last week was horrible; heinous in fact. And not in a ran out of shampoo and milk on the same day, stepped in dog poo and put my knickers on inside out kind of way but in a truly heart breaking, soul shatteringly cruel kind of way. In a way that I can’t quite share with you, a little because I just don’t possess the skill or verbosity (thought I’d made that word up but spell checker, he say yes) and a lot because the story belongs to the people I love most in the world and it’s not mine to tell.
So in what has become a trademark of mine – good luck with that amateur Freuds – I’ll use pith, whimsy and quirk (incidentally I think that’ll be the name of the bookshop I’ll buy when I win the lottery, it’ll be filled with the most beautiful books and all of the cake and sofas and coffee. And there’ll be puppies everywhere. And unicorns) to reflect on the tiny little moments of light that punched through the darkness. Moments like:
- Shovelling Sainsbury’s Millionaire Cheesecake into my face. Eat it. Love it. Smear it all over yourself and have a roll around in it.
- Buying a fedora during a lunch hour. I’d just listened to Eye of the Tiger, it was a panic purchase. Fedora was from M&S so there’s that. Wonder if they sell the courage to wear a fedora in public in M&S too.
- Faking it (nails and eyelash wise only) for a family wedding up North and feeling over-dressed…until I arrived at the wedding that was.
- Pete also had a makeover and looked delectable. He was ever so proud of himself too. Maybe I bought him a bow tie. I didn’t, husband said I wasn’t allowed…maybe I went and bought it at lunch time today anyway because life is too short, buy all the dog bow ties you can. Betty didn’t have a makeover because she hates people.
- I got to hang out with Molly. That’s Molly up there, the sexy blonde ^^
- R came home from uni for a flying visit, she’s like a real live adult and it’s freaking me right out.
- I passed an(other) exam and treated myself to the most amazing 80s album in return. Nothing says ‘go me’ like belting out Total Eclipse of the Heart in a traffic jam.
- I spent A LOT of time drinking tea by the sea. It’s where my soul should always be.
And this conversation I had with the husband on the way to dog agility classes (no need to comment on that, we take them to agility, let’s all move on):
Me: I’ve made an enormous error, I had a pint of squash and a whole cup of tea five minutes before we left. What if I need a wee?
Him: Go behind a tree.
Me: Most people have eyes that can see, not sure I can get my foufou out on the farm my love.
Him: Oh just stand there and do it then, we’ll tell them you’re drunk.
I just pulled a face and then promptly fell over my own feet as I got out of the car thus making his suggestion infinitely more plausible. I didn’t wee though. High five for the pelvic floor. Anyone?
How are you? Tell me something new.